Thursday, November 11, 2004

Music Appreciation 101

You know how some songs always make you think of one particular person?  Or, one particular moment in your life?  A little while ago I started to prepare dinner.  I grabbed a CD from my oldies collection, popped it in the player and turned back to the stove.  In the background, The Temptations played, then Stevie Wonder as I busied myself at the stove.  As the elk steaks (not one of my favorites, but I have a freezer full of it) simmered in Stubb's marinade, and the water for the pasta began to boil, my father's all time favorite song came on.  Everytime I hear it, I just can't stand there, it gets me moving...all over.  It's that powerful of a song.  No one's home, so naturally I have to crank it UP!  Good thing dinner was on cruise control at that point, otherwise, there wouldn't be any.  I kind of got carried away.  Yep, that's me be-boping all over the kitchen, slotted spoon and all.  :) 

So, what was the song that just took over my senses.  None other than one of the classics from the master himself, Got to Give It Up (Part 1) by Marvin Gaye.  Everytime I hear that song, I think of my Dad, dancing on the deck, at a reception, at his car lot, camping...doesn't matter.  That will always be Dad's song.  Always.

Now I know where I got my appreciation for good music.  ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. There are certain songs that just bring back all those cool memories. I love when that happens, it makes me so happy even if the memories are not so good. You have great taste in music, I like the Stevie Wonder and The Temptations are way cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey brvheart! Glad to hear from you!  Thanks for stopping by.
I do love the Motown sound.  Nice to know you do too.  Keep on truckin' baby...got to keep on....truckin'.  :)

Anonymous said...

My Dad's song is "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge boys! The best part about this being his song is we always took our summer vacation in San DIego, being we lived in AZ it wasnt a far drive. but my Dad listened to that song over and over on his walkman. He would sing away and he sang all the wrong words! No one in my family knows the real lyrics since we have been singing it his way for 10 years now! But it takes me back and makes me smile! Good entry! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

Robin-
How did you sneak this one in?  I love your story...LOL.  Truth be told, even today I still don't understand all the words to my Dad's favorite song, either.  But that don't stop me from dancin' to it.
~Dona