Friday, January 14, 2005

Anti-Depression Kit

It's lunch time and I just finished meeting with the Budget & Finance Committee.  Each year I start off with one goal (several really, but one main goal)...to have a clean audit opinion.  The independent auditor presented his findings and report to the Committee, and next Thursday he will present same to the full Board at the annual meeting.  The report was excellent but I won't bore you with all that.  :)

So, what's with the title of this entry?  As the auditor was concluding his report the discussion turned to me.  I'm juggling numerous projects right now...let's just say my plate is heaping beyond capacity, and the committee expressed concern about the workload and it's affect on me.  To say I've been a little rough around the edges lately would be an understatement.  While I and my boss address their concerns, I notice one of the members digging into his jeans pocket, and he whips out a Zip-Loc bag.  Inside the bag I can see a penny, and a Hershey's Kiss, and I'm thinking to myself, What the....?  There is a brief exchange of looks between he and I...he's smiling and I'm puzzled.  He then tossed the bag across the table to me, and says with a big smile, "Here Dona.  This is for you."  I pick it up.  Attached to the Zip-Loc is a typed note:

ANTI-DEPRESSION KIT
    CONTAINS:
    An ERASER so you can make all your mistakes disappear.
    A PENNY so you will never have to say "I'm broke."
    A MARBLE in case someone says "you've lost all your marbles."
    A RUBBERBAND to stretch yourself beyond your limits.
    A STRING to tie things together when everything falls apart.
    A HUG and a KISS to remind you that someone, somewhere, cares about YOU!

Each listed item is enclosed in the bag (I'm thinking I better keep an eye on that marble...don't want to lose that one).  Do I work for some awesome people or what?!?!    And who said politicians have no heart?  I know some who do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great! I love it!! xoxo