Thursday, January 6, 2005

Catch Me If You Can

This afternoon it started to snow.  Yesterday morning it tried, but it didn't amount to much.  Today, however, we have a very light blanket of snow on the ground.  Just enough to make everything slickery.

I went out to my car this afternoon and as I sat looking out the windshield, on the glass several snow flakes caught my eye.  They were tiny, yet perfectly shaped, with intricate designs...each different and unique.  Like tiny sculptures.  As I waited for my car to warm up, I leaned in closer to the glass for a better look at each flake.  I don't know what it is about snow flakes, but they fascinate me.  Sometimes snow lacks the intricate patterns, it's just an icy, cold blob...a tiny undefined ball of snow.  Fluffy, but boring.  Not the least bit fascinating.  But every now and then, Mother Nature gets in an artsy-crafty mood, and those are the best flakes of all.  At home when it snows, I love to stand outside in my coat, with my arms stretched out, catching the falling flakes on the insulated fabric, then inspecting as many as possible before the heat of my body melts the icy patterns.  Guess it's just my inner child wanting to come out and play.  She grew up in sunny California, without the snow storms, and icy winters.  She didn't know what she was missing.  She does now, and when it snows, I have to go outside; there's no keeping me inside.  But today, duty and responsibility kept the child in me in check...there was no time for snow flake fancies.

As the car heater warmed up, the flakes melted on impact with the windshield glass, reminding me that I had places to go and people to see.  I leaned back in the seat, put my car in gear and headed down the road.  Maybe next time when it snows, I'll grab my trusty navy coat with the heavy insulation, wrap it all around me, step out into the brisk winter air, hold my arms out and catch some tiny, falling ice sculptures.

And I'll remember just how lucky I am to experience the moment, so simple, yet blessed with devine beauty. 

 

~~Give your burdens to God...For his arms are made to carry you.~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the word "slickery"  xoxox