Sunday, January 2, 2005

Too Short...Too Soon

The past two days I have spent taking down and putting away the Christmas decorations; a project I drag my feet on every year.  It seems a shame to take it all down, after only two weeks.  I want to enjoy it longer--this is the only time of year I can enjoy the Santa's Dad gave me, and it always seems so short.  I just hate putting them away.

The obvious solution would be to start decorating the day after Thanksgiving...which I used to do.  But each year it seems Sam's enthusiasm for Christmas decorating has declined.  I need his help getting all those boxes down from the attic...I've done it before by myself  (it's that stubborn, independent streak in me), but there are several very large and heavy boxes I can not handle on the ladder alone.  And I have tried going through Sam's heart, using my feelings about the Santa's to help him understand why I wish to start so soon.  To no avail.  So, I am stuck doing things under his time schedule, when he feels up to the task.

Oh, I have put my pretty pink toes down before about this, believe me.  And there have been fights...oh, mama, we had fights.  You could have lit a fire in every room, and the temperature in this house would have stayed COLD!  But truth be told, I just can't see fighting over a bunch of boxes...at Christmas time.  And besides, angry is not the right mood to be in when decorating, at least not if you want a pleasing and harmonious outcome (trust me on this one!).  Men!!!!!  So, you can see my dilemmna.

What should I do?  Stuff my feelings and accept the situation, as is?  Hire someone to get the boxes down after Thanksgiving?  Push harder for my way?  Compromise?  Is it really that important?

 

~~Life is more meaningful when shared with a friend.~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for ya girl. I almost always do the decorating alone...Michael's family never got into these things like mine did. I have learned to put the decorations away where I can get to them alone the next year. I have had to change my way of thinking...it isn't the Norman Rockwell picture of how I wanted decking the halls to go, so I make it my time. My private time to reflect on the real meaning of Christmas and my memories of Christmas's past. xoxo

Anonymous said...

At my house we put up the Christmas decorations the first week of December but we leave it there for a looooong time. We all get lazy and no one wants to put them down, that is until one of us has to give in (Usually me!).

Anonymous said...

Bless You...don't you always notice that the TREE starts LOOKING MORE BEAUTIFUL...AFTER Christmas Day...and you KNOW it is going to have to COME DOWN!!!