Sunday, February 13, 2005

The 80s called--they want their wallpaper back!

  I don't envy people who make their living dealing with wallpaper; especially removing it.  Two years ago I bought the Euro-Pro Shark Steamer..mainly for cleaning and removing hard water stains in the bathroom (ugh!).  But boy this little machine paid for itself this weekend...and made removing that stubborn wallpaper so much easier.  We used a vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle, and the steamer; within two hours all the wall paper was gone.

Kitchen -- with wallpaper

 Note: Those vertical blinds are outta here!!!!

Kitchen - without wallpaper

   A red beer to celebrate...hey, it was 2 o'clock! 

Also to be replaced is the countertop and floor, it's that lovely 1980s dusty rose pink.  Haven't decided on the countertop material yet...but it won't be pink or formica!  Getting rid of that horrible linoleum flooring and putting in a nice terra cotta tile...maybe.  Keeping the cabinets...I like these and think they will work with the Tuscany theme now that we removed the plate rail.  The wallpaper should be in by Wednesday.  Me thinks putting the new paper up will take more than two hours...and at least a few more beers.  I've never done wallpaper before, so this should be very interesting.

Now if I could just get rid of all those god awful cottage cheese ceilings

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geesh!!  What a lot of work.  I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it.  And can I just add that the Alerts being on the fritz again is really starting to get on my nerves.....ok - i know there's nothing YOU can do about that.  But I feel better now that I vented :-)

Anonymous said...

It's okay Kelly!  Venting is allowed, given the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

The kitchen looks better already! Sometimes you can take a paint scraper and very carefully scrape the ceiling popcorn off...... then just apply a paint with a slight texture to camo. any unsightly spots...... good luck. I never saw pink formica before. If you wait long enough will it come back into vogue?? Remember tube tops? Hmmm.....
:):) judi

Anonymous said...

Lol!  I'd never seen pink formica either before I moved in back in 1992.  We have the same formica, in blue, downstairs on the bar.  Over the years I've slowly been adding my personal touch to this house, just a little at a time.