Wednesday, February 23, 2005

If Your Heart Is In the Right Place

AOL Music: Garth Brooks: 'When You Come Back to Me Again

My heart really goes out to my youngest step-daughter.  While working on the kitchen wall papering project, I got this hunch to call her.  Her phone rang and rang, then finally she answered.  I could tell she was crying.  She said she was talking to her boyfriend about something, something that she also wanted to talk to me about.  So I let her talk, and cry.  She is struggling with two issues.  One involves her sister, the other her boyfriend.

On the one hand, she's growing up and it fills my heart with the purest joy to hear her say certain things.  There is this feeling of completeness that comes with knowing every message I sent to another generation has been received, read, understood, and best of all, acted on.  Yet on the other hand, it is so very difficult, knowing what she's going through will involve pain.  I have to fight my instinct to protect and nurture her.  It's difficult, but not impossible; this experience will give her strength, strength she will someday need.  As long as her heart is in the right place...she'll do just fine.

At times, I think we all feel like a ship at sea being tossed around in a relentless storm.  Filled with fear, we wonder if we shall ever see the comforting sight of our home shore again.  Just when we are about to break and give in, the storm passes.  The sea is calm again and we find our way, guided by the familiar beacon of light shining somewhere in the distance.  Beckoning us home.

 

~~There is suffering and then there is overcoming.~~ 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....glad she has you to help guide her in the storm.

Anonymous said...

As wonderful as you write, i have no doubt you have the wisdom to guide her    you are one of the beacons in her life   God bless you.....and i love your taste in music    this is one of my favorite songs---karen

Anonymous said...

and that is why.....life is a process...of healing and mending!  Warmth  Marc :)