Thursday, June 23, 2005

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Sentimental Gifts

For the subject of this week's photo shoot, John Scalzi asked us to share a photo of a treasured gift.  After giving it much thought, the choice was obvious. 
The figurines below are all from my sister, Chris.  Silly as it may sound, I treasure each one, and they mean the world to me...because they are from her.  The oldest is the little girl hugging a bird, with the word 'Love' written on the base.  If my memory serves me right, Chris gave this to me sometime between 1982-1984.  Next are two cats from Avon, which she gave me in 1986, the year we fulfilled a childhood dream of getting an apartment together.  And last, but not least, is the pair of jumping dolphins, which I believe she gave me about ten years ago.


I'm not really a nicknack person, but I love these.  And with the exception of a small chip on the Siamese cat's ear, I've taken extra good care of them over the many years.  There was one other gift Chris gave me many years ago, for Christmas in 1978, the year our mother died.  It was the first Christmas we ever spent apart.  For years it was my most treasured gift ever and I had it for almost 30 years.  But a few years ago it was accidently destroyed.  It was a simple small plaque, with a color drawing of a little bunny sitting in a witch's type kettle, over a raging fire, with a very worried look on it's face.  Next to the drawing were the words, "I'm in a stew without you."  I loved it, because I felt the same way.
To some people, they are just junk.  To me, these simple gifts are a token of my sister's love and appreciation...for who I am, what I am, and what I'll always be, to her.  They are me, and they serve as a constant reminder of the memories we've made together over the years.  Whether together, or apart.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geesh, as always you have outdone yourself - I haven't even LOOKED for my camera for this one.  I've got a couple of things I briefly considered taking pictures of, but I've just been too darn lazy!

Anonymous said...

Great pic and great gifts!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

A lovely entry :o)
The figurines take on a whole different light when you know how special they are to you.
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Hi~TY for visiting my journal. Those are some touching gifts you shared from your sis. I AM a nickknack person; I have to curb my urges whenever I go into a Hallmark store especially (I collect the ornaments) Yes, that is my son holding the quilt; stay tuned for better photos of him!

http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysEYE
http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysWORD
http://journals.aol.com/debbted/SassysSecondWord

Anonymous said...

Great Picture!

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Dona, I can't express enough to you how much this means to me!  After all these years, I thought I was the special one!  You've given me so many ornaments over the years which are my treasures.

Love ya!

Your sis, Chris

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry of the love between sisters.  I am the only girl in my family and I always wanted a sister, someone to be my best friend for life.  I have made many girl friends that are dear to my heart, but there's something special about the bond of true sisters.

Anonymous said...

so sweet. i love the dolphins because i am a collecter!

http://journals.aol.com/sinnermeetevil/Myfamily

Anonymous said...

I collect Frog figurines.  Nicki

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the most precious gifts are the simplest. What a great entry and even better journal.
~~@Jade@~~
http://journals.aol.com/angelicregan75/APennyForYourThoughts