Friday, November 3, 2006

Take a walk...on air...literally

If you could walk on air, 4000 feet over the Colorado River, would you?

Got plans to visit the Grand Canyon in the near future?  If so you are in for a real treat.  Today I learned a skywalk is under construction at the Grand Canyon and is nearly complete.  The skywalk is glass and steel horseshoe shaped cantilever design.  It's designers claim it passed  engineering requirements by 400 percent and can withstand the weight of 71 fully loaded Boeing 747 airplanes (that's over 71 million pounds).

I'm intrigued.  But I'm sitting here asking myself, if given the chance would I walk out to the opposite edge of the skywalk?  Across all  that glass...

            feeling the wind blowing on my face...

 

                                                  like a bird...                                

hmmmm. 

I could take two steps, to start with...but I'm not sure I could take the whole walk.  But it would be cool to feel just like a bird, if for just a short moment or two.  Yeah, maybe I would find it in myself to take that walk.

So, would you do it?

Check it out for yourself...<click here>

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?  I would love to do that. Of course, the open air would be wonderful. Have you walked across the Royal Gorge Bridge in CO? That is quite thrilling.  Also the tram ride. It's open air.
Barb  

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I can't read your font...too small!!   I need glasses!  : (

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Would doing it with my eyes closed count? I have to say though, honestly, for that I would suck it up and get over my fear of heights.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I could walk out on the thing.  I've never been to the Grand Canyon but it's on my list of places I want to visit.  Linda in Washington state  

Anonymous said...

Wow, not sure if I could do it or not. I'm not scared of heights, yet that brings on a whole other idea of "heights" and bravery, etc! I've not been to the Grand Canyon yet, but I hope when we move back to the states we can take a vacation out there. My aunt went out there and went on the mule back pack ride and loved it.

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY I'D DO IT!   AND I WILL!   my adventerous self that even if it looks scarey as hell, i'd jump in with both feet    can't wait til it's finish   i'll be off to the Grand Canyon in a heartbeat once i'ts finished  i'm only 6hrs away:-)  Yeah!~kbear

Anonymous said...

I have two words:

Oh Yeah!!
Gem :-D

Anonymous said...

No way am I gonna walk on that bridge. LOL.  Hugs,
Lisa