Monday, February 21, 2005

Did I Ask For Rain?

I'm back...sorta.  Things are settling down here a bit...sorta.

AOL Music: Jo Dee Messina: 'Bring on the Rain'

You know that saying, when it rains, it pours.  Upon arriving home from the trip to Spokane, I found out my best friend Bona is in the hospital, in a coma.  I'm not going to even try to explain it right now...it's too complicated and I'm on an emotional overload.  I don't even want to go down that road right now.

Yep, this year is starting off in an unbelievable way.

So enough of the heavy, depressing crap.  On a lighter note, I have been smoke-free for 90 days!  God knows my committment to quit is really being tested, but I am determined to succeed.  This is one aspect of my life I can control and I will not back down.

And for some more lightness; a funny story from the hospital last week.  But first, a little background info on this type of procedure.  The stint is inserted into the blocked artery via a catheter, which is inserted at the right groin area...yes you male readers may wish to groan right now.  Now, when it comes to being sick, or in pain, Sam has no tolerance.  When he's sick he is such a wimp, and when he's in pain, he whines.  And yet, he wouldn't even go to the doctor when this all started.

On Thursday, after the doc inserted the stint, he told Sam they would remove the catheter in a couple of hours.  Prior to and after the procedure Sam is given Plavix (blood thinner).  For this reason, the medical staff must wait until Sam's blood will clot before removing the catheter.  After several blood tests, the results indicate his blood is clotting.

Bear in mind, this is the second catheter injected into the same artery at the same site in the past two days.  The first catheter was on Wednesday morning when they found the arterial blockage.  And Sam is already very, very sore in that spot.

Okay, so the nurse comes in to remove the catheter and the eight inch long sheath.  After doing so, pressure must be applied at the site for at least 15 minutes until the blood thoroughly clots.  And yes, the nurse has to stand there the whole time, with herhands pressed against Sam's groin.  And oh, she is young, slender, and attractive.  You know where this is going, don't you?  But wait...

Sam is doing his level best to watch the tv and keep his mind preoccupied throughout.  He's been instructed not to move his right leg for obvious reasons.  About halfway into this process, I see him moving his left leg as he raises his knee up a bit.  Sam makes a couple of comments about how much she is hurting him.  A few minutes later the nurse checks the site but the blood is not clotting yet (probably cuz it's rushing to another area nearby).  As the minutes tick by I watch the nurse patiently shift her weight from one foot to the other.  About the time things are getting really quiet in the room, the nurse leans in toward Sam and brings her left leg up.  A rather panicked Sam shifts his attention from the tv and asked, "What are you doing!?"  The nurse stops, and replies, "Just bringing my knee up for leverage."   Relieved, Sam says, "I thought you were going to put your knee into my groin."  She laughs, and turns to me.  I shake my head and roll my eyes up.  "Is he always like this?" the nurse asked me.  "Oh yeah," I replied, "I'm surprised he didn't think you were trying to get into bed with him."

Now Sam will tell you that the entire time, he was in too much pain to notice where her hands were.  Ah-huh.  The previous night he described the pain as 'feeling like someone had just kicked him in the groin.'  At first, I didn't believe him...he's exaggerating to get attention.  That is, until I saw the bruises.  And he is bruised, black and blue all over.  Partly from the procedure and the blood thinner meds.  Doc said one of the side effects of Plavix is the tendancy to bruise easily.

So much for the red blooded American male.

P. S.  It should be noted that just before the hospital discharged Sam, he commented on how many people had paraded through his room, either poking or proding him.  And, he was convinced that EVERYONE in that hospital had peeked under his gown--including the cafeteria staff.     

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Sam. ;)
Congratulations on stopping smoking! I truly admire your discipline. I hope I will be strong enough to quit soon. Keep it up.
God Bless.
TiaNme

Anonymous said...

LOL    Sam's adventure is too funny, lol     thanks for sharing it    i got a great laugh!    Hope the 'rain' at least slows down for you soon.   God Bless you all!   -karen

Anonymous said...

i remember when my mom had it done - they used sand bags for pressure though so as not to tie up the nurses for so long - and the bruise was AMAZING.  I've never seen anything so huge!

Anonymous said...

Typical man!!!!  Should I be sending you a little nurses outfit to wear around the house...for those frisky moments?

Anonymous said...

Karen - it was funny.  Would have been funnier if I'd been thinking...I should have said "Oh yeah, he's used to having my knee in his groin."

Tia - thank you.  I was/am ready to quit, and none too soon.  There was a guy two years older than Sam in the next room, with 5 arteries blocked.  It was open heart surgery for him...and he's a smoker.  :(

Kelly - Sand bags!?!?! Wow!  Tho I can see why...they have to exert a lot of pressure on the site and it is physically demanding on the nursing staff, and time consuming.

Robin -  LOL.  Hmmm, nurses outfit?  Well, no big hurry...doc said "No marital relations for at least two weeks."  Sam thinks I bribed the doc to tell him that.  Yeah, like I've got that kind of money laying around.  Men!

Anonymous said...

Now that was a good laugh...found your journal thru another's.  Can't compare the situation, but when my husband went for his 1st full body massage (a Valentine's gift from me) I warned him to think of "bad things" if he got too excited.  Well, he made it thru without any "tent pole".  But as he layed on the bed after she finished, as the young attractive therapist was walking towards the door, he groggily asks "will I be seeing you again?"

She burst out laughing and he nervously followed that up with "you know, so I can leave you a tip."   That's men for ya!   Diane

Anonymous said...

Oh Diane now that is a funny story.  Very quick 'cover up' on your hubby's part I must say.  Thanks for leaving the link back to your journal.