Saturday, June 18, 2005

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bridge

Today's been an emotional day full of highs and lows. Spent the first couple of hours this morning at the athletic club. Got there right after the doors opened at 8:00 a.m., so the place was quiet. Took my turn on the stair master, then the treadmill, then into the equipment room. Next stop was the pool for a very relaxing, leisurely swim, followed by a quick sit in the sauna, then the jacuzzi, and a shower.

On the drive back, the emotional part kicked in. Two weeks ago, my kitty companion Sassy disappeared. She's 11 years old, and I now fear the worst. Cats are very independent and Sas was no different. At first I thought she had just gone off on a little feline adventure and I'd see her in a few days, lounging about as she pleased.

But it has been over two weeks, with no sign of her, anywhere.   Sassy has never been away from the house for more than one day.  I fear I must now deal with fact that she is gone and has crossed the rainbow bridge.  I had Sassy longer than any other animal companion.

I brought her home in June 1994 when she was six weeks old, and in no time at all she earned the nickname 'Monster' for the way she raced around the house.   She was fascinated by the television and especially computer screens. 

Anytime I got my suitcase out, she made it clear to me that I better be taking her with me.

She spent the last five years of her life outside, when Sam put his foot down about having cats in the house. During the past few years Sassy became a bit of a slobber puss, drooling everywhere when she was happy and content, which was all the time.  Never had a cat do that before. She was my constant companion, friend, and trusted confidant. I will miss her, deeply.

Right now I'm just too sad to write anymore.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhh...i'm so sorry to hear about Sassy.
http://journals.aol.com/windascoop6/Windysnotsotypicaldays/
Windy

Anonymous said...

Dona
I am so sorry to hear of  the loss of your little companion.  I pray a miracle happens and she returns to your household.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I will say a prayer that Sas comes home soon.   another j-lander just got her cat back after being gone 2+ weeks   take care~kbear

Anonymous said...

(((((Dona))))) Not being a pet person, I can't say I know what you are going through, but I can truly imagine what it must be like to "not know" sometimes that is truly the worst feeling in the world.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have lost your little pal.  Pets are our family, and when we lose one, it hurts just as much as losing a family member.  Our dog Harley crossed the Rainbow Bridge last November...it feels like yesterday, still hard.

Anonymous said...

There is always the chance that someone else, thinking Sassy was a stray, has taken her in to live with them. Have you advertised her missing? It`s worth a try. Good luck and I hope she comes back.  (((((hugs)))))

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Awww big hugs to you my friend.  Losing an animal is the hardest.  They are such unconditional lovers.  I will pray that you feel better soon.  And by the way she is so beautiful.  I am so sorry sweetie.  Nicki

Anonymous said...

What a beauty. She'll be forever in your memories - which at the moment seem sad, but as time goes on those same memories will become sweet.
{{HUGS}}
Cathy
http://journals.aol.com/cathyterv/PictureWindow

Anonymous said...

Del-Did Sassy come back? Sorry she took off. "Sassy" is also my screen name; I'm glad you shared the memories...Deb (SassyDee50)

Anonymous said...

Wow....she looks like she is wide awake, with an unlimited supply of energy.  Our cat Bouk, is probably lying down on the floor looking for energy.