Sunday, August 7, 2005

Amuse Me :)

So, last Tuesday I mentioned roller coasters in an entry.  Must have been a precursor for things to come.  And I've said it many times.  Patience has it's own rewards.

After waiting many, many years, I finally got my wish to experience Silverwood (<-- click to visit website).  Silverwood is a theme park right here in Idaho...it may be the only theme park in the Pacific Northwest.  I've been bugging Sam to take me for years, every summer, but the weekends passed and he wouldn't budge.  Thursday night, HE suggested it!  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  Huh?

I visited Silverwood in 1988 shortly after it opened.  Wasn't much to see and for a girl raised at Disneyland, Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm in Southern California, Silverwood had a long way to go.  Back then all it had was a train ride and an air show, aside from the snack places and gift shoppes.  Major disappointment...but, it was new and everything has to start someplace.

Then they started adding the roller coasters!  :D

 





Long story short, Saturday we had a blast.  The three hour drive took forever, and it was Noon and so very hot when we arrived.  The place was packed.  From here, I'll let the photos do the talking.





Sam, waiting in line for the Corkscrew Roller Coaster.


Coaster Alley, as seen from the Ferris Wheel. Tremors is on the right, Timber Terror is on the left.


Silhouetted by the setting sun, riders on Timber Terror fly past the parking lot as Sam and I prepare for the long drive home.

BTW, Tremors was the best!  I love the wooden coasters.  Although Sam said he wasn't real thrilled about riding a coaster that came off the track three times.  I didn't believe him, then later, while eating some Dippin' Dots ice cream (Cotton Candy flavor), I watched that coaster very carefully.  I didn't see it come up off the track, but the wooden frames really swayed and moved when the cars traveled over certain sections.  Good thing I didn't see that before I got on it.

And when we got home around Midnight, we noticed something falling from the sky.  It was ash;  the driveway and Sam's truck was covered in it.  Another fire somewhere.  This morning we learned the fire is to the west, in the Blue Mountains, not too far from here.  The sky today is filled with smoke.  :(


The telltale signs of a nearby forest fire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures!  despite my best intentions i don't think we're making it to an amusement park this year, ah well - there's always next year!

Anonymous said...

happy you made it to the park   i'm ready for Six Flags again just so i can face my fears of those new rides...hope the fire stays away from you up there   be safe~kbear

Anonymous said...

I love to see entries that show people having a good time. You're my hero for braving those coasters...I'd probably pass out!

Nice angles on the photos! Great entry!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dor~I love amusement parks. This is a great entry and kewl photos! See, even in Idaho you found the fun! ;-) Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have had a really nice time!  I love love love roller coasters!  Scare the life out of me but I love em!

Anonymous said...

I used to love rollercoasters but I don`t think I have the nerve anymore! :-)

Sandra xxxx