Tuesday, August 1, 2006

For the Love of Scotland

~* Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you will see farther. *~   -Orison Sweet Marden


Until I get a much larger media card for my camera, this video shot by another person really delivers the experience of watching pipe and drum competitions.  I always find myself mesmorized by the drummers and the way they twirl those 'batons'(?).  What are those things called?!?!

And, now a few of my own photos. Man in motion 56 lb Weight for Distance competitor; the weights are thrown one-handed and any style may be used but the most effective is to spin like a discus thrower.  At least now the mystery is solved; athletes do wear boxers under their kilts (for obvious reasons). Too much tilt A caper...errrrr make that caber... toss competitor struggles to balance, but loses his unwieldy load. Tribal celts Members from the celtic band, The Wicked Tinkers, perform to the delight of the crowd. I think that drummer is staring at me... and check out the Sgian Dubh (Skeen Do aka black knife) tucked into the drummer's right stocking. In the moment Members of the world champion Simon Fraser University Pipe and Drum Band, wearing the Ancient Fraser tartan, perform during the Anniversary Tattoo. My fascination with all things Scottish is inherited...I am a member of a Scottish Clan...the Clan Moffat.  Our motto is "Spero Meliora" (I aspire to greater things).  Fits nicely with my Blue Skies and Gentle Breezes philosophy.  How appropo.


By Celtus (Celtus @ english wikipedia) - Own work by uploader. The crest image is adapted from the following images below., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4914889


  ~* Take all the swift advantage of the hours. *~   -Shakespeare

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your pictures.  Thanks for posting them.  

jeane

Anonymous said...

Dona,

That is so neat.  I have only seen things like this on tv.  How fun for you to be right there!!

Robin

Anonymous said...

That is a great video. Thanks for sharing the pics too.