Thursday, December 30, 2004

Confessions of a Whistle Blower (Part 1 of 3)

Something really has me bothered.  It seems everywhere I turn, especially in the press, I keep hearing the same message, over and over: the moral fabric of America is worn, faded, full of holes and just plain worthless.  Excuse me?  What self appointed schmuck decided it was their purpose in life to smear the principles and values I chose to live and work by every day?  Have we all become so diluted by our bottled water that the line between good and bad is too blurred for us to know the difference?
I for one, am tired of seeing the negative, dark side of human nature elevated for the sake of amusement.  Too much emphasis is being placed on spotlighting the personalities who would rather stomp you and I into the ground for their fifteen minutes of fame, than to lend us a helping hand.  I rarely hear about people doing the right things for the right reasons.  But I know there are stories out there about them.  I know those people exist.
So let me pose this "What would you do?" question.  You know someone at work is abusing their position of power and authority, and they are wasting scarce resources.  Would you be willing to go out on a limb, and risk losing your job, to do what is right?  What if that person was your boss?
If you are not into reading about good winning over bad, then this journal is not for you.  However, if you hunger for such proof, read on.  But I warn you, there is no way to make this "a long story short"...so get comfortable.
It was exactly two years ago.  Two years ago this week, the shit hit the fan at work and I found myself inextricably in the middle of a coup that would turn an organization upside down, yet save it from financial ruin.  All at the hands of one man, who by all outward appearances, came across as an intelligent, articulate, nice man.  But looks can be deceiving.
For over seven years, he held the position of Executive Director (ED) at the small non-profit where I work, and as the Financial Manager, I reported directly to him.  We both joined the organization as the dust of a major crises was settling.  He was hired shortly after I was.  I started as a part-time intern, and within two months was hired full-time.  During the following years, I saw his involvement and committment to the organization slowly decline, to the point where the majority of his time was spent on such important activities as balancing his checkbook and writing letters to his family.  There were many meetings between the two of us, where I found myself encouraging his participation in the organization's cash flow, budgets, and other financial matters.  But he always dropped the ball and showed no interest.  When a problem arose which I did not have the authority to resolve on my own, I brought it to him, and offered my thoughts.  When I finished, his reply, every time was, "What do you think?" even though I had just laid it all out on the table before him.  He couldn't make a decision to save his life.  Staff confidence in his leadership ability and business savy began to wain.  Pretty soon, myself and other staff members were forced to shoulder the burden of his duties, along with our own, while he collected his fat paycheck.  For the sake of the organization, we covered for him and kept things going smoothly.  You see, the ED had one heavy advantage over us, and he played it to the hilt.  He had a majority of the Board of Directors eating out of his hand.  And the last time staff members had voiced concern about the previous ED, they were all fired, without recourse.  This included my predecessor.  My boss made sure everyone knew that.
Now you might say, just find another job...but it's not that easy.  The rural area I live in has been economically distressed for many years, and I did not put myself through three years of college so I could go back to being a waitress.   Years before I had taken a 50% cut in pay when I moved back to the area from California, and I had finally got my financial legs under me again.  Quitting or walking away was the equilvalent of going backwards...and that was not an option for me.  There was only one thing to do...stay and tough it out.  On two occastions, I took my concerns to Board members I thought I could trust.  Both times I regretted it.  Both times I was assured my confidence would not be betrayed.  The last time the ED reminded me what would happen if I did it again.
As time passed by, the ED's work ethic all but disappeared.  In 2001, things got worse.  We lost some key staff members (they took jobs in another city and state), and the cash flow began to dry up because no one was out promoting the organization and securing new contracts.  Making payroll and paying the bills became a monthly challenge for me.  And a darker, unstable side of the ED emerged.  Shortly after 9/11, he changed the background on his office computer to display photos of the Twin Towers exploding from the impact of the planes, withOsama Bin Laden in the foreground.  And he placed a life size poster of Bin Laden on the door of his office. 
(To be Continued)

No comments: