Monday, January 24, 2005

Oh Boy...I've Got A Live One

A response to wangfuzhong2:

I checked your profile and see that you are an English professor.  Good.  Then you should fully understand what I am about to say.

In college my English Comp 103 & 104 professor utilized a rather fun approach to creative writing.  Each student sat at a computer, and at her word we began to write...about anything.  Grammer, punctuation, syntax didn't matter.  The purpose of the exercise was to stimulate our creative juices and just write.  We had five minutes, after which, we stopped and moved to the computer to our left.  She gave us a few minutes to read the prior person's words, then at her command, we had to pick up the other person's thoughts and run with it.  Whether we liked, understood, believed or even cared about the subject, she just wanted us to write about that same topic.  It was an excellent exercise to overcome blocks and allow us develop a broader sense of our own writing ability.  To stretch our imagination, and explore our own untapped writing potential.  An exercise to help us learn, about our world and our selves, as a group and individuals.  The exercise lasted the entire class, and she participated as well.

Those days in class were always my favorite, for many reasons.  And I miss that exercise.  Every now and then, someone else's words here in journal land will inspire me to write.  To pick up where they left off, to take the topic and run with it in my own words.  Just as I did back then.  I am a writer.  I write.

And so it would seem, that you too, have just become a part of the exercise.  I hope you enjoyed it.

Comment Added
A comment has been posted to the Journal:
Blue Skies...Gentle Breezes...and Storms
It's Like A Curse

Comment from: wangfuzhong2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright, i had to go back to the original thread there.... whoa.  I love people who think that their way of doing something is the only right way.  Life is too full of diversity to try to shove everybody into a narrow and often confining ideal.  We all love in different ways. Oh, there are obsessions camouflaging themselves as healthy emotions - we all know that.  But just because it appears unhealthy from the outside doesn't mean it is.  

Anonymous said...

You tell 'em Kelly!  This is more fun that comparing what kind of panties we wear!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Kelly the best? I love it when I can tell her secrets about someone and she can sit with me and tell me how right I am and what a loser HE is! LOL. Talk about an encrypted comment~ Love you!