Saturday, January 22, 2005

She's a Grand Ol' Flag

Torn and tattered, the days of service for this flag are over.  We must have had a nasty wind storm Tuesday night, because on Wednesday morning when I walked outside the flag pole was bent at a 90 degree angle and our flag was touching the ground.  I was running late for work, but that didn't matter.  The thought of just leaving it never entered my mind, I couldn't bear it.  I had to take the flag down.  At first the pole wouldn't budge, and I struggled with it.  I tried the slip knot on the halyard, with no luck.  Minutes later, after several rather unfeminine grunts, I got the pole loose and brought the flag inside.

This morning I folded the flag...hopefully the correct way.  It's been too many years since I was a Girl Scout and learned flag folding.  Later today, I'll take this flag to the local VFW for a proper disposal.

This flag has flown on the front of our home since the attacks on 9/11.  I already have replacement flag, but I need to replace the pole as well before the colors can fly again.  In a way, I feel kind of...melancholy, not quite sad.  Before today I never realized how the colors affected me. 

Now I do. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear someone loves their flag as much as I do. I have even stopped in front of peoples houses when I saw their flag touching the gound, knocked on their door and told them so. I have done this more than once and if they werent home I fixed it for them. Thank you for sharing this. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Robin.  Things like that matter to me.