Saturday, January 15, 2005

Stepping Out of the Darkness

For several months I have had a private journal.  About my life, my past actually.  Something I have kept hidden because I really didn't think anyone wanted to read it. 

I've always loved the printed word.  Whether writing or reading, I feel I am in my comfort zone when surrounded by words.  So as a teenager I decided to write a book about my life.  It became my life goal.  My friends all said I should, as their life experience was nothing like mine.  My teachers, and later college professors, encouraged me to continue writing.   At first I believed them, then I just thought they were being nice and saying what I wanted to hear.

Between 1985-1990 I wrote a book about my life.  I spent the next two years trying to get it published.  Unsuccessfully.  So I put it aside, thinking maybe it just wasn't time.  Maybe I needed a happy ending, which I didn't have.  The final chapter was my vision...my wish...how I wanted the book, my story, to end.

Last year, a friend of mine (ty R) encouraged me to re-open my book.  I'm going to have to start from scratch, unless I can locate the original manuscript.  This will not be easy, because a small part of me does not want to relive a lot of things that happened.  But I can not deny the compelling feeling I have stirring within, longing to break out, aching to open my wings, and fly.  This is my story - Metamorphosis.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen to your heart and go for it!