Monday, October 24, 2005

When I Get Where I'm Going

For the past week, I've heard this song in bits and pieces.  Today, for the first time I heard it, completely...on many levels.  Through all the shifting ups and downs lately, today when I stopped and actually listened to the song, the strain around my mouth relaxed a bit, my stomach stopped rolling and flipping and I realized something.  I have much to be thankful for; no matter what happens, I can't control everything, and all that really matters is the love I carry in my heart, and the memories I make...today.  Tomorrow will come and everyday when I wake up, I am ready for it.
Sometimes, the simple words in a simple melody bring it all together.
And, for everyone who shared your words of encouragement, thank you.  Your kindness and caring is immeasurable, and deeply appreciated.
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain

(Chorus:)
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here

I'm gonna walk with my grand daddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck

(Chorus)

So much pain and so much darkness
In this worldwe stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So muchwork to do

But when I get where I'm going
And I see my maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of his amazing grace
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah when I get where I'm going


Music video by Brad Paisley performing When I Get Where I'm Going. (C) 2005 BMG Music

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow..wonderful lyrics! Thanks for sharing..I got to check out the cd.
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

A similar thing happened to me once when I was feeling tense about life.  I stopped and listened fully to a song that had been going in and out of my mind and, like you, I connected on many levels.  I'm glad you're feeling easier about things.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I heard this song for the first time tonight - well as much as I listen to country I'm sure it's been on my radio station before, so maybe I "noticed" it tonight - I was crying all the way home.

Anonymous said...

I lost my Father Oct. 2nd 2005 to Lung Cancer, this song touched me ... If you smoke please stop, Cancer is an ugly way to go.....