Friday, December 22, 2023

Familiar things in unfamiliar times

 

In this constantly changing world, which leaves us feeling unprepared, there is a feeling of nostalgia and even a sense of comfort that comes with the familiar. This little reindeer stamp is one of those familiar things.

 


In December 1988, I was in Markettime Drug when this fun lil’ character, sitting by itself on a shelf, caught my eye. I was smitten with its charm and without hesitation snatched it off the shelf and headed to the cashier. It's probably the only thing I ever purchased at Markettime Drug, and it’s been with me ever since. Funny thing, before that night, I never visited Markettime Drug. I drove by it hundreds of times, never stopping; yet that night I felt compelled to stop and go in.

 


The ink pad dried up years ago, but as a card maker I have enough red ink pads to keep it going. Every year when it appears in my workspace while I am sending Christmas cards, it puts a smile on my face and a bit of joy in my heart. A tiny reminder of a different time, and yet serves to remind me that not everything has to change.



No comments: